Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Waldo Lake and the Alpine trail

Waldo Lake and I have a bit of a history. About 4 or so years ago I rode waldo in the snow. Unintentionally of course. It was really fun for a while but soon I was wet and cold and 21 miles seemed really long. The next time about half way through I was riding the only real tech section and smashed my knee. Probably could have used a couple stiches and that kind of put a damper of the ride. In fact it was bugging me so much I pulled out 5 miles early. So this year would be the year for more pictures and less cold and less blood. There was probably 30 people invited as this was the 1st annual Pedal Nation Waldo Lake camp out. A week out from the trip Aaron said there would be around 10 riders which meant 16 camping or so. It ended up 4 camping( Aaron,Eric, Reagan and myself) and 5 riding. Calin drove down for the ride but didn't camp because his wife had the swine flu or something. The forecast was for a bit of rain on Sat but when I got up Reagan informed me that there was blue sky and is was not going to rain. About 5 min after we started pedaling it darkened up and cooled down. Me..short sleeved jersey. Aaron..rain jacket. He went to college so he knows when to stay dry.The trail was a bit dusty at the beginning but not too bad. Lot's of rocks and great views of the lake. We twisted and turned and took lot's of pictures and before I knew it we were at the section where I smashed my knee in 07. I had actually tried to ride this section the first time in the snow but ..well....there was snow so it was a little crazy. So I screwed up my first attempt and bent my brake lever about as much as you could bend it with out it snapping. the next few attempts I made it all the way through the bigger rocks but managed to screw up in the easy stuff. Mostly made it but it doesn't count. Eric had me thinking that he might get hurt. His first 2 attempts were not very long before he was jumping down the trail. then out of the blue he stomped it clean. good to see. Down the trail we went and soon it was sprinkling and the sandy dirt had some moisture so traction was great. The rest of the ride was great until about 10 feet from the end of the trail an fascist bug flew into my helmet and bit my head. hurt for 3 hours and I still have a lump. By the time we got to camp it had started sprinkling. or raining. Either way I was wearing shorts and had no rain gear. Eric made Fire and Reagan made Chilli and everything was ok after that. I found out that my tent is made for summer nights and my sleeping bag has a broke zipper. Once again I was camping dirt bag style. Sitting in the rain in shorts and borrowing a cup for the coffee. The next day Reagan had a sore knee so they opted out of the alpine ride. Eric was nice enough to shuttle us to the top so we could BOMB down the trail. Sun was a beautiful day with blue sky and 65/70 deg. Perfect. Aaron said ' Hardly any climbing " so that meant some climbing. but it was mostly down. Great single track through huge trees. If there were some dangerous rocky sections it might have been the ultimate single track. Maybe it was anyway. Great weekend with great people. Looking forward to more riding camping soon.

No comments: